What is iShowU Audio Capture?
iShowU Audio Capture is an extension to OS X used by iShowU Studio and iShowU Instant to record audio from your computer. This new-and-improved audio driver replaces Soundflower and provides a bunch of new features and improvements in order to make recording audio more stable and easy to do.
This new driver is the default audio capture solution. We recommend that all existing iShowU Studio users install this new driver.
Note: iShowU Audio Capture is only supported by iShowU Studio and iShowU Instant. iShowU and iShowU HD/Pro still use Soundflower.
iShowU Audio Capture is designed for use with iShowU Studio or iShowU Instant. You may use it for other purposes but we can only provide support for its use with iShowU products.
Features & Improvements
- Much more stable - When you quit the app, or even if the app crashes, your default audio device will switch back to what it was before. This means no more weird issues where your sound seem to disappear!
- More intelligent - Your audio output device will only be switched when it needs to and only switched back when it needs to.
- Better volume support - When recording audio from your computer, adjusting the volume will now work seamlessly, as you'd expect it to.
- Workspace support - When you switch to another user/workspace your audio output device will automatically switch back to how it was, and then return to capturing audio when you switch back.
Installing iShowU Audio Capture
- Download the iShowU Audio Capture installer.
- Once the download has finished, find the installer - it will probably be in your Downloads folder.
- Open the installer (the .dmg file).
- Run the iShowU Audio Capture package by double-clicking it and following through the prompts. You will need to enter your password to complete the installation.
- When the installation is finished, you should see a green tick. If you do not, or if you see an error message, please contact shinywhitebox support.
- Open System Preferences, select Sound and then Output. There should be a new device called iShowU Audio Capture.
- (Optional) Uninstall Soundflower if you don't have any other apps that use it.
Uninstalling iShowU Audio Capture
To uninstall iShowU Audio Capture, see the instructions in this article.